IPP updates clobber manually-configured printer(s)

Del del at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 21 13:33:44 PDT 2008

I am running CUPS v1.2.4 (sorry) under CentOS 5.2.  When I was running CUPS under RHEL4, I could manually edit my /etc/cups/printers.conf and add a printer.

I can still do this, but now - about once an hour, on the 5s - CUPS (or some other cron daemon I haven't figured out yet) is looking on the network for IPP-capable printers.  It will find a lot.  This could be useful, but there are soooo many that my hand-edits to printers.conf - to add my particular non-IPP-discovered printer, and to rid myself of lots of printers (hundreds) that I really don't care about - are also getting lost.

Is this peculiar to my CUPS version (1.2.4), or is there a configuration flag I can change?  Again, this behavior didn't happen under RHEL4 and whatever version of CUPS was bundled with that distro.

Thanks!
-Del