IPP updates clobber manually-configured printer(s) [solved!?]

Del del at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 22 11:13:12 PDT 2008

> > I am running CUPS v1.2.4 (sorry) under CentOS 5.2.  When I was
> > running CUPS under RHEL4, I could manually edit my /etc/cups
> > /printers.conf and add a printer.
> >
> > I can still do this, but now - about once an hour, on the 5s - CUPS
> > (or some other cron daemon I haven't figured out yet) is looking on
> > the network for IPP-capable printers.  It will find a lot.  This could
> > be useful, but there are soooo many that my hand-edits to
> > printers.conf - to add my particular non-IPP-discovered printer,
> > and to rid myself of lots of printers (hundreds) that I really don't
> > care about - are also getting lost.
> >
> > Is this peculiar to my CUPS version (1.2.4), or is there a
> > configuration flag I can change?  Again, this behavior didn't
> > happen under RHEL4 and whatever version of CUPS was bundled
> > with that distro.
>
> I'm (hopefully) answering my own question: ...
>   [blithering snipped...]
>    :
> I'm waiting now for :05 past the hour to see if all still works.

Nope - My printers.conf (and /etc/printcap, which I see now is generated by cups from printers.conf) was again blown away.

*sigh*

This _may_ well be a RH/CentOS issue, but anyone who has solved it is welcome to chime in.

In this version, CentOS 5.2, there is no "printconf-backend" as mentioned in http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?gcups.general+v:27700.  There is a cluster of libraries in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends and there's also /usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py; I'll stare at the latter a bit to see if I can make some sense of what's happening and whether or not there's a way to correct it.

-Del

-Del