[cups.general] New to CUPS implemntation

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 23 10:24:00 PDT 2008

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe this will get
you thinking about the problem a little differently.

This appears to be less about the print service and more about how you
implement "print" from inside your web based application.  Is it
possible to have your web based application print to the
correct/closest/... printer when they hit the "print" button? yes.  It's
only software.  With the right level of understanding and investment,
you can usually get the desired result.

It may not be feasible if you are using JavaScript to print via the
window.print() method to do the printing from the browser itself in the
manner you want.  If I remember correctly, that method will open the
browser's print dialog, but will not pre-select a printer and will not
print automatically.  Of course, that may be perfectly acceptable for
your situation.

If you are generating output and submitting it to print from the web
server side, there are a number of possible approaches that can be made
to work, but they have nothing to do with the specifics of CUPS or any
other print service.  It's more likely to be about correlating the
browser address (or user login via cookies, ...) to the corresponding
printer via table lookup or other heuristic in a backend cgi or
similar.  If the printing is done from the web server side, it means
that the web server must have access to a print server that can access
the printers.

You might explore this requirement more fully before deciding on an
implementation strategy.  Each possible approach has it's own set of
costs and limitations.

There may be other constraints like application security, network
security, mobile access, ... that may force you toward a particular
approach.

More complete requirements and constraints might get you more help.

       -Norm