cups - a primitive software? [was: Re: no data arrives to /usr/lib/cups/myBackend (0 bytes)

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Fri Jul 25 00:53:19 PDT 2008

ekkard gerlach schrieb:
> I print
>  lp -d usb-printer -h secondPC -o raw /tmp/myASCII.prn
> to the secondPC. "usb-printer" has its own backend to print to
> /dev/usb/lp0:
>
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/myUSB_lp0-Backend:
> cat - >/tmp/usb-druck2222      <== this file is up to
>                                 date and alway 0 bytes!!! Why?
[...]

I've done plenty of test, the results:
   * the job is purged (0 bytes) if the job is sent to another PC
   * the job is purged (0 bytes) if the file is not postscript
   * the job is cat'ed to usb-druck2222 only if lp prints to LOCAL (!!!)
backend AND if the job is postscript and option -o raw is not used. What
a primtive software!

Who has programmed that stuff? If CUPS would be a deprecated software I
wouldn't be disappointed.
CUPS - a printing system for kids and home Offices? Go back to Windows
for business affairs?

BTW: Why are USB-Parallelport adapter no longer supported by CUPS (see
thread "usb-parallelport adapter: Discarding unused printer-stat")? -
With Windows no problem: install the driver and you are ready to work!!

Ekkard