cups - a primitive software? [was: Re: no data arrives to /usr/lib/cups/myBackend(0 bytes)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jul 25 08:01:48 PDT 2008

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> ekkard gerlach schrieb:
>> I print
>>  lp -d usb-printer -h secondPC -o raw /tmp/myASCII.prn
>> to the secondPC. "usb-printer" has its own backend to print to
>> /dev/usb/lp0:
>>
>> /usr/lib/cups/backend/myUSB_lp0-Backend:
>> cat - >/tmp/usb-druck2222      <== this file is up to
>>                                 date and alway 0 bytes!!! Why?
> [...]
>
> I've done plenty of test, the results:
>   * the job is purged (0 bytes) if the job is sent to another PC
>   * the job is purged (0 bytes) if the file is not postscript
>   * the job is cat'ed to usb-druck2222 only if lp prints to LOCAL (!!!)
> backend AND if the job is postscript and option -o raw is not used. What
> a primtive software!
>
> Who has programmed that stuff? If CUPS would be a deprecated software I
> wouldn't be disappointed.

Since you have your own backend in the loop, you might enlighten us
as to what that backend does.  In particular, for raw jobs it needs
to copy the file on the command-line and not stdin when printing.

You also didn't say what Linux distribution(s) you are using...

Or what version of CUPS you are using...