cups - a primitive software? [was: Re: no data arrives to /usr/lib/cups/myBackend(0bytes)

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Fri Jul 25 13:01:32 PDT 2008

Michael Sweet schrieb:

> Since you have your own backend in the loop, you might enlighten us
> as to what that backend does.
print a raw-job to /dev/usb/lp0

> In particular, for raw jobs it needs
> to copy the file on the command-line and not stdin when printing.
"copy the file on the command-line"? Whats that? I want to print from
PC1 to PC2 using lp -d <remote-printer_of_PC2> -h PC2 .....

> You also didn't say what Linux distribution(s) you are usng...
Suse 10.2 delivered with CUPS 1.2.7

> Or what version of CUPS you are using...

It my last customer with linux clients. After giving up KDE that is too
buggy and user-unfriedly now I see, that CUPS ist too complicatd. I go
back to windows clients. Printing with smbclient to clients always works
fine. An there is also support of usb-parallelport with windows. CUPS is
extremely complicated, might be big enterprises can afford a admin who
copes with CUPS, but not me.

Ekkard