[cups.general] usb-parallelport adapter: Discarding unusedprinter-state-changedevent...

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Fri Jul 25 13:16:07 PDT 2008

Michael Sweet schrieb:
> ekkard gerlach wrote:
>
>> ekkard gerlach schrieb:
>>
>>> BTW: a primitiv backend
>>>    #!/bin/sh
>>>    cat - > /dev/usb/lp0
>>> may be a solution, okay.
>

> That primitive backend is not implemented correctly.
>
> For raw jobs, the print file is provided on the command-line and NOT
> on stdin.  A simple "man backend" will tell you that...

sorry, but I don't see any examples, I don't understand, might be I'm
too stupid. Anyway, I  have not the time to studie CUPS for days,
weeks., ..

Bye-bye CUPS and Linux clients, see my answer in thread "cups - a
primitive software? [was: Re: no data..."  above.

At the moment I serve my last customer with linux clients, I will solve
the problem using netcat on both PCs, I'll cat the job (file) directly
to /dev/usb/lp0. Thats realised in 10 minutes and I know it works.

Thx to all here for you hints, maybe CUPS is a wonderful software. But
it's not usable in small business affairs. I invested about 100 hours
last 6 years with CUPS-features, -bugs, -queues, ..  and I now go back
to Windows and smbclient to print to Windows clients. Did smbclient ever
not work?

Ekkard