cups shared state backwards compatibility issues

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Jul 11 14:25:59 PDT 2008

> Weird ...
> We have an 1.1.19 installation for serving some weird printers (which fail to
> function properly with newer CUSP version) and use 1.3.5 by default. We
> routinely print from 1.3.5 clients to printers set up in the 1.1.19 installation
> without any problems.
>
> Helge
>

> PS: Maybe there are some SuSE hacks in between - we always compile CUPS
> grom the sources.

Helge, thanks for your data point - I will check the SuSE package - and try to replace it with a non patched version.

Do you really print from the 1.3.5 clients via a 1.3.5 server to the 1.1.19 server, where both servers (sitting in different networks) are connected via ipp, and not 1.3.5 clients connecting directly to the 1.1.9 server.

I suspect, the problem is due to that ipp connection from new to old..

As a side note to the issue: while using cups 1.2.7 on the local server, all was well - thus the issue appeared, when moving from 1.2.7 to 1.3.7..