[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2878: Standby/failover printer inside a CLASS

Bruno bruno at savioli.org
Sat Jul 12 07:37:51 PDT 2008

[STR New]

Hello there.

I have searched a lot and haven't found a way of doing this.

This is the scenario:

1 Printer Server
2 Printers
1 Class containing the 2 printers.

With the normal settings, when you send a job using the CLASS, cups will
kind of "round robin" or send the job to the first available printer.

Because of the way we work, the order that the document comes out of the
printer, it is very important that all jobs use the same printer, unless
the first printer is down for some reason.

I reckon adding a possibility to add a priority configuration, or a way to
choose the preferable printer or a way of assigning one or more printers in
the class with the status of "STAND BY" and only become online when there
is a problem with the other printer in the class.

Apologies if this is already possible or if there is a request for this,
but I couldn't find a way of doing it.

I believe this would be a useful option for many people.

Thanks

Bruno

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2878
Version:  -feature