[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2888: USB backend issue with Canon MF4140 printer

Holger Jahn lists at loomsday.co.nz
Wed Jul 23 15:37:19 PDT 2008

Hi Michael,

> This is ultimately a problem with the USB printer module in the kernel and
> not an issue with the CUPS backend, since we just look for the devices the
> kernel reports and use the one that corresponds to your printer.

So, do you think the issue is related to the usblp kernel module or some
other USB kernel module?

> CUPS 1.4 has a new libusb-based backend which may work better with this
> printer - it does *not* use the kernel printer module and thus can avoid
> the problems associated with it...

Well, I have learnt that the scanner functionality of this printer works
just fine with the latest SANE 1.1 drivers from their CVS.

Is CUPS 1.4 available & usable at the moment?

Regarding the USB kernel printer module, what do you suggest? I can
update my current thread there if you want me to.

Regards,

Holger