Broken PS files and universal options

Beat Wolf asraniel at fryx.ch
Sun Jun 1 05:25:04 PDT 2008

> Beat Wolf wrote:
> > Here is the example file:
> > http://www.fryx.ch/fineprint/documents/temp/test.ps
> >
> > about your second comment, i'm not sure to understand it. I'm quite sure that i use the correct ppd files for my printers, does this mean that there is a option that works for all printers, or not?
> >
> > Thank you very much
> >
> > Beat Wolf

> >>As for your 1st problem, please post (at least one) a sample file
> >>to see how your PS files violate the DSC on which CUPS heavily depends.
> >>
> >>As for the 2nd problem, it is a matter of how the printers are configured
> >>in CUPS and if you *do* use the proper printer specific PPDs.
> >>
> >>Helge
> >>

> >>--
> >>Helge Blischke
> >>Softwareentwicklung
> >>
> >>H.Blischke at acm.org
> >

> Beat,
>
> in the short run, I suspect, there is no hope to solve your
> issue. The cuplrit is/are the pstops utility(ies) you use
> to do the imposition tasks such as the n-up printing in your
> sample file.
>
> The reason is that that pstops utility makes nearly all the
> PostScript operators CUPS uses to apply options to the job,
> nemaly the setpagedevice operator, to a noop. As a rsult
> any statements issued byx CUPS' pstops filter have no effect.
>
> In the long run, you might try to modify the procsets issued
> by the utilities you use not to "noopify" the mendioned
> operators so that the CUPS filters can do their job again,
> or try to emulate the additional option you need by
> properly inserted PostScript snippets - but be aware that
> will require quite a bit of compatibility testing.
>
> Helge
>

> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
>
> H.Blischke at acm.org

Hi,

in the short run, i fixed the problem by converting the ps file to a pdf file. Then sending it to the printer. This works quite well, except that a few formating issues occur, for example if i specify that there is a border around each page in the postscript file, then this border is "broken" in the pdf file (it's present, but not as it should).