[cups.general] Obscuring filename details

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jun 4 08:05:57 PDT 2008

Hello,

On Jun 4 07:37 Steve wrote (shortened):
> The current jobs screen on the web interface shows full details
> of the filename.
>
> E.G. smbprn.00000025 Microsoft Word - Outsourcing our IT department

As far as I know this is the print job title
(see the -t option in "man lp") and not the actual file name
but certain user GUIs set the print job title to whatever
they like, e.g. web browsers often use the URL e.g.
"http://how-to-outsource-your-IT-department.html"

> Is there a way of obscuring (or just removing) the details
> of the job?

Perhaps it might be possible to modify appropriate
CUPS templates (usually in /usr/share/cups/templates/...)
so that the job title is no longer shown?
(But I never tried this.)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex