Installing PPD files without CUPS

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 01:33:28 PDT 2008

Yes. foomatic-rip is a filter which parses PPDs and the knows how to
call a printer driver and how to use options to control the driver or
the (PostScript) printer. It does not require CUPS. You call it from the
  command line or you use it as a print filter for other printing
systems, like for example LPD. Solaris for example uses foomatic-rip
with the Solaris LP printing system.

See the documentation on the Foomatic web sitew for how to use foomatic-rip.

    Till