[offtopic] Incomplete data received withscripted netcat that emulates a JetDirect printjob receiver

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Sun Jun 8 02:42:32 PDT 2008

> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 08:41:24PM -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> >
> > If I remove the "&" from the listener-watchdog call in the "rc-listener" startup script, that script does not return the shell console to me. However, if I use "^Z;bg" to put it into the background, it works perfectly, and all data arrive without fail.
> >
> > I'm at my wits' end. It seems to be connected to the mentioned backgrounding of the "listener-watchdog" call inside the "rclistener" script.
> >
> > Why...
> >    ...does putting that one line directly into the background inside
> >       the script *not* work,
> >    ...while calling it normally, but instead putting the whole script
> >       manually into the background work
>
> Instead of using a script in /etc/init.d/, couldn't you edit your
> /etc/inittab file and put this line at the bottom :

Thanks, Jerome,

for this valuable suggestion.

I need this to work on Solaris 10. So I will see if that OS can do it in the same or similar way as you suggested when I (tomorrow) again have access to such a system (Solaris 10 has a new way to handle services, called SMF: Service Management Facility, which I'm not too familiar with).

What I described above also happened in the same way last week when I tried it on Solaris 10. First I thought it was due to some weirdness in Solaris' /bin/sh.

That's why I started to look more closely at the problem this weekend by  using my Linux notebook... and was surprised that the same problem occurred here, even with /bin/bash.

So, even when/if Jerome's suggestion works for me: I'm still interested in learning the cause of that weirdness I described in my initial posting.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Kurt