[cups.general] [offtopic] Incomplete data received withscripted netcat that emulates a JetDirect printjob receiver

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun Jun 8 03:40:08 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 02:42:32AM -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> So, even when/if Jerome's suggestion works for me: I'm still
> interested in learning the cause of that weirdness I described in my
> initial posting.

This problem "might" (I'm really not sure) be due to the fact that you
try to daemonize a process which is not written as a daemon,
especially wrt standard IO streams.

IIRC, daemons have to 'cd /' then close their standard input, output,
and error, then fork and let the parent die. Something like that,
it was a long time ago...

Ah, but there is sample code at :

 http://www-theorie.physik.unizh.ch/~dpotter/howto/daemonize

This process, to the best of my knowledge, is not limited to Linux,
although small changes may be needed.

hth

Jerome Alet