Debian print server and Windows

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Mon Jun 9 08:08:35 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have a print server running Debian Etch for an HP Color LaserJet 3500. I use CUPS to network it with Linux machines, however I am stuck when it comes down to Samba config!

I have downloaded the CUPS V6. drivers from the windows portion of this website but have no idea how to install them or get them working.

I got the main PPD for my printer from linuxprinting.org which works fine from other machines, my Windows XP boxes detect the printer but say that there are no drivers available for it.

Can someone help me?

So far I have extracted the Windows drivers and put the ../i386/ part into /usr/share/cups/drivers but I'm really confused as the readme says that I need non-free Windows software to compile the driver but the documentation on the windows portion of this website doesn't mention it.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks