[cups.general] CUPS, Windows and HP Laserjet print margins

Joris Dobbelsteen joris at familiedobbelsteen.nl
Tue Jun 10 03:49:42 PDT 2008

Dear,

I have some Windows clients that have to print on a HP Laserjet 1012
connected to a CUPS server. Unfortunately, when using the Adobe
postscript printer, the printed margins are way off. In this case, these
margins are quite critical to properly align everything before the next
duplication step.
I did notice the Microsoft Publisher Typesetter generated postscript had
the margins way off, but the Adobe postscript driver does seem to
generate the correct pages.

Directly connecting the printer to a Windows box and using the HP
drivers doesn't cause any problems with margins. So it should be able to
perform this OK.

My setup:
Windows XP SP2, Adobe postscript driver

Debian 4.0, CUPS 1.2.7
(+ all drivers, HPlib...)

Gentoo, CUPS 1.3.7-r1
no drivers, only intended as TCP to USB...

HP Laserjet 1012

Since I have relative no to little experience with this, where should I
even start and what should I do to get my problem sorted?

Thanks,

- Joris