[cups.general] Debian print server and Windows

Ari Constancio ari.constancio at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 11:27:51 PDT 2008

> I have a print server running Debian Etch for an HP Color LaserJet 3500. I use CUPS to network it with Linux machines, however I am stuck when it comes down to Samba config!
>
> I have downloaded the CUPS V6. drivers from the windows portion of this website but have no idea how to install them or get them working.
>
> I got the main PPD for my printer from linuxprinting.org which works fine from other machines, my Windows XP boxes detect the printer but say that there are no drivers available for it.

Hello,

Have you read the printer-specific Samba HOWTO parts, such as
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html
?

Assuming you have enabled CUPS printing in your smb.conf, there are
several ways to upload the printer drivers to the print server (under
the 'Installing Drivers into [print$]' section).

Cheers,
Ari Constancio