Printing compressed data

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 07:07:25 PDT 2008

Dmitry Vailenko wrote:
>>>        I need to print compressed data to remote printer (hp4250n, hp2300n, …) from HP-UX 11.11 server with Cups 1.3.4. I tried to do it in two ways:
>>>
>>>        1.Directly to network printer
>>> /opt/cups/sbin/lpadmin -p ILP01 -E –v ipp://192.168.78.49:631/ipp?compression=gzip
>>>
>>>        2.Via remote Windows 2003 print server
>>> /opt/cups/sbin/lpadmin -p ILP09 -E -v http://192.168.78.55/printers/CLP45/.printer?compression=gzip
>>>

>>>        Without “compression=gzip” all is ok.
>> Windows and most network printers do not support document compression.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>
> Do you know any network printers or print servers (software or hardware)
> that support document compression?
>
> May be  you can advise something else? I am very interested in
> comperessed printing.

I'm currently not aware of any printer model that supports (out of the
box) receiving and processing gzip-compressed job data.

There are quite a few (enterprise-grade) models that have proprietary
solutions for that (such as Thinprint's ".print engine"), but for these
you need to have the corresponding (proprietary) software on the sending
end.

If you want to do that with Free Software and CUPS, you need to place a
receiving CUPS server close to the printer to uncompress what you send
from remote.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS