[cups.general] shell script as filter -> core dump

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jun 17 07:46:54 PDT 2008

Willi Burmeister wrote:
> Now I'm trying to substitute 'texttops' with a filter of my own, as I
> want all ASCII files send through 'mp'. For this I wrote a small
> shell script:

Looks good.

> The script works without problems when called by itself, but does not
> work with cups. Even worse 'cupsd' stopped running after a SIGSEGV.

Not so good - what operating system/Linux distribution are you using,
and what version of CUPS?  Did you compile CUPS from source or ???

Do you have a backtrace of the crash?

> I searched the net for any information about writing filter for cups,
> but could not found anything about shell scripts. Is there something
> special to keep in mind? Does anybody have a working shell filter for
> cups?

The CUPS book includes an example for filtering DVI files using a
wrapper script - it basically does the same as yours, but for DVI
files.