[cups.general] shell script as filter -> core dump

Willi Burmeister wib at cs.uni-kiel.de
Tue Jun 17 21:58:12 PDT 2008

Hi Michael, hi Helge,

Michael wrote:
> Not so good - what operating system/Linux distribution are you using,
> and what version of CUPS?  Did you compile CUPS from source or ???

Sorry for not mention this. I compiled cups-1.3.7 on my Solaris 10 SPARC
system.

> The CUPS book includes an example for filtering DVI files using a
> wrapper script - it basically does the same as yours, but for DVI
> files.

This book is from 2001. I don't really like to pay money for a seven
year old book, as I think cups has evolved a lot in this period.

Is it still worth the money or is it available on the net?

Helge wrote:
> Look into mp's manpage for environment variables and set and export
> the required ones in oyur shell script. It might be that mp
> segfaults on null-pointers that stem from undefined environment
> variables.

Ah, good idea. HOME was missing. Adding 'export HOME=/root' solved the
problem.

But I'm still wondering why a bad filter is able to stop cupsd. I think
this is a bug.

Thanks to both of you for this quick help.

Greeting from Germany

Willi