[cups.general] shell script as filter -> core dump

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jun 18 06:53:47 PDT 2008

Willi Burmeister wrote:
>> The CUPS book includes an example for filtering DVI files using a
>> wrapper script - it basically does the same as yours, but for DVI
>> files.
>
> This book is from 2001. I don't really like to pay money for a seven
> year old book, as I think cups has evolved a lot in this period.

True, but the book is still a useful resource and includes (for
developers anyways) documentation on CUPS 1.2.x features.

> Is it still worth the money or is it available on the net?

It is still worth the money, but unfortunately is not available on
the 'net.

> Ah, good idea. HOME was missing. Adding 'export HOME=/root' solved the
> problem.
>
> But I'm still wondering why a bad filter is able to stop cupsd. I think
> this is a bug.

Yes, no filter should be able to stop cupsd, and we'll want to see
a backtrace to determine what is happening.