authentication failure / Require group fails

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Jun 19 06:12:19 PDT 2008

> > > AuthType Basic
> > > Require group Staff
> >
> > Run the following command:
> >
> > grep Staff /etc/group
> >
> > If the command above returns empty, there's your problem.
>
> authentication on the printserver is done via LDAP, for users and for groups. So, this command returns an empty line, because the group Staff only exists in the LDAP-database and not in /etc/group.
>
> Does cups only look in /etc/group for members of groups, or does cups also ask the LDAP-server?

I don't use LDAP and so am not familliar with CUPS configuration to
using LDAP.

If I understand correctly, when using the "AuthType Basic", CUPS will
use the OS authentication system; ie, /etc/group for example.

Perhaps someone with LDAP and CUPS implementation can provide a better
understanding.

Thanks,
Angel