[cups.general] Print to a file

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Jun 23 08:20:19 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 07:51:05AM -0700, Steve Hoyle wrote:

> Basically, all I want to do is print the output from an oracle
> generated report to a specific directory (for example /oracle_rpt)
> and not to a physical printer on the network or serial attached.
>
> I see CUPS-PDF is a PDF virtual printer but the oracle reports are
> generated in PCL so I just need a virtual printer to the specific
> directory..
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated as ive put this request on
> numerous Unix boards and have had no success except from Hike
> (thanks of your reading this) who suggested CUPS can do what I
> require easily...
>
> Oracle.pcl   ->   CUPS   ->   /oracle_rpt/Oracle.pcl
>
> May be worth pointing out I dont know the name of the oracle
> produced report which is why I initially had issues with standard
> Unix printing.

Tea4CUPS available from http://www.pykota.com is exactly what you
need, and much more.

BTW if you want to convert PCL into PDF at the same time, you can
very easily plug GhostPCL (GhostPDL now I believe) into the mix.

Basically you'll have :

Oracle.pcl -> CUPS -> Tea4CUPS +-> Whatever/Wherever you want.
                               |-> ...
                               |-> ...
                               |-> ...
                               |-> ...