[cups.general] Backend not detects USB printer

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 25 09:51:05 PDT 2008

shermin wrote:
> Hi.
> I didnt understand what do you meant by this statement.
 >> Does the printer report itself as a printer?

What I mean is, does your printer report itself as a USB Printer Class
device?  If not, the standard Linux USB printer driver *will not*
support it and you'll need to develop a custom backend (probably using
libusb) that talks to it.

 > Anyway this printer is working fine in Windows.

That says nothing - if you have a vendor-supplied Windows driver, it
can (and often does) provide its own USB driver.