[cups.general] CUPS job processing time

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 25 16:49:17 PDT 2008

John A. Murdie wrote:
> Incidentally, even with 'raw', I note that page_log still contains
> page counts for Windows -submitted files. Is there a 'raw raw' which
> will prevent even this examination of the input files? (We do page
> counting with an SNMP-based backend wrapper somewhat like PyKota.)

The backends log PAGE: messages for each copy they send when doing
raw printing.

> It may be that much of the contribution to the CUPS processing time
> is from the Netapp filer - but I'm wondering why CUPS should take 35
> seconds to process a single page job - is this expected with our
> overall hardware/software? - or could we knock 30 seconds off this
> time with a little care in configuration? It doesn't seem very much
> absolute time, but would be a large percentage, and would improve
> matters psychologically for the users of our small desktop printers.

If you are doing raw printing, that 35 seconds is probably the time
it takes to send the print data to the printer, which then starts
processing the job data.  You can time the submission and printing
times from the debug log messages in error_log, but that's the only
processing that is going on - copying to/from the spool directory.