[cups.general] CUPS job processing time

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jun 26 08:44:57 PDT 2008

John A. Murdie wrote:
> The 35 seconds duration is the difference between the time written to
> /var/log/messages by cups-lpd as it finishes transferring a job from
> our Windows server - i.e. the time the CUPS scheduler receives a job

OK, you can eliminate that delay by using IPP instead of LPD when
printing to your CUPS server - on Windows, use
"http://servername:631/printers/printername" as the printer port.

> The slowness is probably something to do with our environment, but I
> would like to know how long the CUPS scheduler *should* take per job
> for a system like ours - 285 everyday users of 40 or so printers,
> though about twenty of those are personal printers used by just one
> person! (Yes, the latter are the bane of a printer administrator's
> life, even with decent remote monitoring.)

Normally you should get full network bandwidth speed between the
client and CUPS server, and typically 1MB/s going from the server to
a modern network printer.