[cups.development] Add Network Printer through libcups API

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jun 20 14:56:05 PDT 2008

Russell Stewart wrote:

>>> OK, I see. So I assume that ippNewRequest() is the method to call for creating the IPP request, right?
>> Yes.  See the "CUPS Implementation of IPP" document for documentation
>> on the attributes and operations:
>>
>>      http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ipp.html
>
> Are you sure that IPP is the way to go on this? If I'm reading the docs correctly, it appears that I'm doing an AppSocket (i.e., JetDirect) connection. My device uri is "socket://<IP Address>:9100/".
>
> Or does this also go through an IPP request?

Don't confuse the local protocol used to communicate with cupsd with
the protocol used to communicate with the device.  All of the CUPS
commands use IPP requests to the local cupsd to configure printers,
get the list of jobs, submit files for printing, etc.  The local
cupsd then runs a program (called a backend) to handle the
communications with the device.  You set the backend using the
"device-uri" attribute - the scheme name is the name of the backend.