PostScript document not printing double-sided

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 5 09:28:03 PST 2008

I have a PostScript document given to me by a user here which will not print double-sided (An lpr(1) '-osides=two-sided-long-edge' option has no effect.) Other PDFs and PostScript files print double-sided as expected. The PostScript gives every appearance of being DSC-conforming, but I have no definitive judgement on that. I'm reasonably au fait with PostScript, and there is no command in the file (obvious to me, at last!) which is causing it explicitly to be printed single-sided, so it is perhaps just the absence of a duplexing command which is causing the printer's default simplex printing to be observed. Alas, I cannot show the file to anyone off-site.

I've long wanted a PostScript DSC conformance checker (for Linux), though, if people always write documents in Portable Document Format, it should never be necessary to use one - as any PDF to PostScript translator should be correct and thus its output should never need to be checked. Also, of course, many modern printers accept PDF files directly.

Any suggestions about how to determine why this PostScript file is not being printed double-sided when (all?) other documents are?

John A. Murdie