[cups.general] Print job status not working as expected

Kurt Palmer kpalmer at ert.com
Wed Mar 5 13:38:18 PST 2008

Hello All,
I am using CUPS 1.3.5 with HPLIP 2.8.2 in an attempt to setup print services
for a HP9040.
I am having a problem using the hp backend driver for CUPS. It seems that
while standard printing works with the hp backend a paper jam (and other
printer related errors) does not create a failure condition in cups and CUPS
reports that the printjob is completed successfully.

I was under the impression that because i am using the hp driver cups would
have the status of the print job as failed or pending (with the printer
state/error condition noted).

My printing process "must" be controlled via CLI since it is calling (in a
non-interactive mode) via a J2EE based application (that needs to print
reports and collect status of successful or failed print jobs).

Please note that this is my printer.conf DeviceURI setting:

DeviceURI hp:/net/hp_LaserJet_9040?ip=10.20.11.10

Thanks,

-Kurt