[cups.general] PostScript document not printing double-sided

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 6 00:52:53 PST 2008

Hello,

On Mar 5 09:28 John A.Murdie wrote (shortened):
> I have a PostScript document given to me by a user here
> which will not print double-sided
> Other ... PostScript files print double-sided as expected.

I.e. it depends on how the PostScript file was created.

For example the psutils are known to cause such problems.
Some time ago on this mailing list the reason was explained:
The culprit is the pstops utility from the PSUtils package.
It inserts a procset into the PS job just after the
header comments which - among other tings - defines the
setpagedevice operator as a noop.
Thus, any defaults defined by your printer's PPD or given
as options in the print command are just ignored.
The only chance you'd have is with printers that need things
like media size, duplexing or the like to be specified by PJL
commands or with native IPP printers that natively support
these attributes via the IPP interface.

> Alas, I cannot show the file to anyone off-site.

Perhaps only the %%... header lines help. There is often
a %%Creator line which indicates how it was created.

> PDF to PostScript translator

I.e. the file was a PDF which was somehow translated into
PostScript? How was it translated?

For example the PostScript output of the Adobe PDF Reader
works often better than other PDF to PostScript converters.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex