CUPS and Kerberos on Linux

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 07:25:32 PST 2008

I'm looking again at the debug2 error_log trace, this time for an attempt to add a new printer via a web page with Firefox, using Kerberos authentication. It apparently works correctly (with Negotiate successes) through several stages of the dialogue, right up to cups-driverd sending a list of ppd files to form the web page from which the user chooses the type of device, after which the same failure messages which I've posted in the bug report happen here too.

Along the way, however, there are various apparently spurious error messages in the log - can I be sure that none of these are contributing to the problem? (I'm using SSL, and that seems to work in general.) Some examples of these messages are:

D [07/Mar/2008:13:37:47 +0000] [CGI] /usr/local/cups-1.3.6/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll: No such file or directory
-- But I'm on Linux, not Windows!

E [07/Mar/2008:13:37:50 +0000] Unable to import client credentials cache: Invalid credential was supplied, No error
-- Error, yet 'No error'?

E [07/Mar/2008:13:37:59 +0000] Bad request line "gibberish" from myIPaddress!
D [07/Mar/2008:13:37:59 +0000] cupsdSendError: 8 code=400 (Bad Request)
-- This one seems to happen only, and always, after a successfull SSL shutdown

John A. Murdie