[cups.general] JetDirect printer does not print despite normal status indication

Marcus Better marcus at better.se
Fri Mar 7 07:28:31 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to print to a JetDirect printer from my Debian laptop using CUPS
1.3.6. The logs and CUPS web interface indicate that printing succeeds, but
nothing comes out of the printer. Moreover wireshark shows network traffic
on the JetDirect port, for instance my laptop and the printer exchange some
200 TCP packets for the CUPS test page. But no paper appears...

The printer is an HP Color LaserJet 2600n, and it is configured as follows:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.0
# Written by cupsd on 2007-09-05 14:16
<Printer myprint>
Info HP Color LaserJet 2600n
Location Office
DeviceURI socket://myprint.local
State Idle
StateTime 1188994560
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

It's using the "HP Color LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS" driver.

Oh, and the myprint.local name resolves just fine, and it listens on port
9100. Substituting the IP address doesn't help. I can print from Windows
and Mac machines in the same LAN, but I'm not sure what methods they use -
I believe they use JetDirect though.

Regards,

Marcus