Printing the same page for ever

Tudor Buican tudor at timb.com
Sat Mar 8 10:40:40 PST 2008

> Tudor Buican wrote:
> > Hi everybody.
> >
> > I have two different print servers (both from Linksys but different models), and a totally different printer attached to each server. Everything works fine when I print over the network from a Windows machine. However, when I use CUPS to print from my Linux machines (various flavors of RedHat Linux), the first page gets printed over and over and I have to cancel the job in order to put an end to it. And exactly the same thing happens regardless of which server/printer/driver I'm using.
> >
> > Any help fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> What version of CUPS?
>
> What device URI are you using for the printer?
>
> --

1. cups-1.1.22-0.rcl.9.20.2.el4_6.5 -- but I've always had this problem when trying to use printer servers with CUPS.

2. I'm using http://204.134.74.28:80/P1 for an HP Photosmart C3140 and Linksys PSUS4 print server, and http://204.134.74.33:631/ipp/P1 for a Samsung ML-2510 and Linksys WPSM54G print server. The result is the same on both printers when using CUPS on one of my Linux machines, i.e., the first page keeps printing for ever (even the CUPS test page), although that endlessly repeated page prints correctly, including the graphics. This happens regardless of kernel version (2.4 on some machines, 2.6 on others).

On the other hand, Windows prints just fine on both printers.

So it seems to me that some info on the completion of the printing of a page gets lost in the process, with the result that some link in the chain just keeps retrying to print.

Again, any help is welcome--having to run Windows under VMWare just to print over the network ain't pretty.

-Tudor