[cups.general] auth-info-required

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 06:30:38 PDT 2008

Is there any documentation for how auth-info-required is meant to work,
throughout the entire job workflow?

I can see that a backend can request auth info by setting the
auth-info-required attribute with "ATTR:" and stopping with the
appropriate exit code, but where is that attribute meant to end up?

For example, with a CUPS server that requires 'Basic' authentication for
submitted jobs, and a CUPS client that has discovered that queue using
CUPS Browsing, when a job is submitted to the client, the client IPP
backend stops and job-hold-until=='auth-info-required' for that job --
but I don't see the auth-info-required attribute set for that printer on
the client, only on the server.  Surely it's meant to be set for the
client as well?

The reason I'm looking into this is that I have a job monitoring
application, and it would be useful for it to request auth info from the
user and authenticate jobs using that.

Tim.
*/