CUPS(Samba,Raw,JetDirect) SLOW (slower than windows)

Josef pepus at p-h-a.cz
Thu Mar 20 14:55:02 PDT 2008

Hello,
 I have a working CUPS system, my printer is connected via JetDirect socket to CUPS, data format is set to RAW and the printer is shared via Samba for Windows clients. (Windows clients print with original vendor drivers).
The problem is, that it is much slower than virtualized(!!) Windows 2000 Server running on the same server machine doing the same (sharing the  printer (connected via 9100 RAW) to other windows clients over samba).

My test page (256kb 2 paged PDF with pictures) results:
CUPS: printer starts making sound - 22sec, 1st page out 49sec, 3sec delay, printer starts making sound again 52sec, 2nd page out 01:18

Windows: printer starts making sound - 23sec, 1st page out 50sec, NO DELAY, 2nd page out 01:04

So the first page comes out faster (or about the same) on CUPS system, but before starting to print the 2nd page the printer is idle.

I have done some more testing with my MacBook:
Printer installed over JetDirect with postscript printer driver - same result as CUPS (delay). JetDirect with HP Driver - the same result.

So what does Windows do so special that the printing is faster? It is a real problem for me, because we print a lot and this is not usable (with 40 paged PDF is the delay unacceptable).

Any help how to tune it would be welcome!