How to change a particular printer option in CUPS

Leslie Katz lesliek19 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 21 20:30:07 PDT 2008

I set up a Canon MP160 for a friend. It works through CUPS. It has two cartridges, one, black, the other, colors. My friend would like to use black only.

I've found that she can do that from the command line, by using:

$ lpr <filename> -o CNInkCartridgeSettings=bk

but I'd like to set that option in CUPS instead. At the same time, I'm afraid of doing something to the existing installation that'll stop it from working altogether.

Is there a way to add that option to the existing options for the printer in CUPS without changing anything else about the current installation? For instance, could I simply use:

# lpadmin -P MP160 -o CNInkCartridgeSettings=bk

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks for reading this.