How to change a particular printer option in CUPS

Leslie Katz lesliek19 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 23 10:52:14 PDT 2008

> >> Thanks very much for your reply. I'll try lpoptions.
> >
> > Well, I've now tried: # lpoptions -p MP160 -o
> > CNInkCartridgeSettings=bk
> > followed by # lpoptions -p MP160 -l
> > but the list doesn't include the option that I've just tried to set.
>
> It won't; you only get changes there by editing the printer's PPD
> (i.e. lpadmin -d mp160 -o ...).  If you use lpoptions *without* -l
> you should see the options.
>
> --
> brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery at kf8nh.com
> system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu
> electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university    KF8NH

Thanks for your further reply.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the computer on which I'm trying to do this and have been trying to make things work by email.

However, I do have a copy of the relevant ppd file on my own computer. Almost at the end of it, there's the following line:
"*%CNPpdToOptKey CNInkCartridgeSettings --inkcartridgesettings".

It was in Canon's guide that I found the (correct) information that using the command "lpr <filename> -o CNInkCartridgeSettings=bk" would print the selected file in black only.

Would editing the line from the PPD file in the following way achieve what I want:
"*%CNPpdToOptKey CNInkCartridgeSettings --bk"?

Thanks again for your help.