Cups - Bandwidth between servers

adrien carlyle acarlyle at couttsinfo.com
Fri Mar 28 08:16:23 PDT 2008

> adrien carlyle wrote:
> > I have a fun scenario and am hoping someone may have an answer for me.
> >
> > At present, when sending jobs to other sites, we use ghostscript to effectively compress a print job to send it over our vpn, expanding and printing it on the other end.  I am wondering if something similar happens, or is configurable, when a cups server is sending a print job to a queue on another cups server?  If so it would keep us from having to custom implement such a system etc.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> You could use the gzip command (perhaps wrapepd by a backend script)
> to compress the jobs on the sending end; they will be decompressed
> automagically by the gziptoany filter which will be the very first
> filter of the filter chain then (probably not for raw queues).
>
> Helge
>
> --
> Helge Blischke
> Softwareentwicklung
>
> H.Blischke at acm.org

Thanks for your reply!

I have more information on this as well,  we use a custom filter on the receiving end, so that ghostscript can access a company graphic and insert it into the print file it receives.   can you point me to some information on the filters and how we might write one that will interface with cups in the same way as what we have?  Ideally if we could detect one of these jobs coming to the server we could send it to our custom filter and do away with legacy LP altogehter!