[cups.general] Cups - Bandwidth between servers

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 28 10:30:56 PDT 2008

adrien carlyle wrote:
> I have a fun scenario and am hoping someone may have an answer for me.
>
> At present, when sending jobs to other sites, we use ghostscript to effectively compress a print job to send it over our vpn, expanding and printing it on the other end.  I am wondering if something similar happens, or is configurable, when a cups server is sending a print job to a queue on another cups server?  If so it would keep us from having to custom implement such a system etc.

The IPP backend supports a "compression=yes" option that will use
Flate (gzip) compression when sending a job over to the remote server
(if it supports compression, too).

For manually-created queues, use:

     ipp://servername/printers/printername?compression=yes

as the device URI.  For auto-created queues, the BrowseRemoteOptions
directive can be used in cupsd.conf:

     BrowseRemoteOptions compression=yes

(This is for CUPS 1.3 and higher)