[cups.general] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Are libusb headers/libs Required to Compilecups-1.3.5

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Sat Mar 29 21:39:29 PDT 2008

>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:20:50 -0800

> >> Yes

> >> Yes
> >>
> >> --
> > Thanks, so - I'm using the correct uri, the usb printer module is
> > loaded, the cups error_log in debug mode does not report any errors,
> > but nothing prints...
> >
> > Any other ideas about what the problem might be? (note that on the
> > same system, if I compile hplip (but do not change anything else
> > besides the uri) I can print via the "hp" backend
>
>Could be that this printer doesn't support normal USB printing, or
>you are running into a kernel bug.  HP's backend is (naturally)
>written to support their devices...
>
>--

Just for completeness sake - the missing item was hpoj - once this
was installed I could print via the ptal backend. I guess I needed
this rather than the usb backend because I'm using an all-in-one
printer rather than a standard printer. According to ptal-init, the
printer was found on /dev/usb/lp0 and was had the device URI:
ptal:/mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85 in cups

Thanks for the help