Printer added with lpadmin doesn't show?

Kyle Schmitt kschmitt at tootsie-roll.com
Mon Mar 31 15:11:44 PDT 2008

I'm attempting to add a LPD printer using the lpadmin tool, and have it show up normally.  Before saying, don't use LPD, move it to cups, or just use the GUI, finish reading, please.  For various reasons, yes this needs to print to an LPD server.  No it can not be moved over to print straight from cups: the application doesn't know about cups, and no cups drivers work for most of these printers anyway.  I have 40 other such printers to add across several other machines, so using a GUI is out of the question.

I added the printer like this:
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p ibm -E -v lpd://oprintsvr/hp?ibm=yes

The printer shows up in /etc/cups/printers.conf, and "lpstat -a" shows the printer correctly.

"lpq -l" however, doesn't show the printer at all
The distro dependent printer configuration programs (RedHat)
system-config-printer-tui: doesn't show the printer at all
system-config-printer-gui: shows the printer under browsed queues, and doesn't allow for any editing.

Any clue as to how I can add the printer via command line so that it shows up normally?