[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2752: Enable lppassword for programmatic usage.

Rodney Johnson rodaj at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 13 08:27:21 PDT 2008

[STR New]

Packages that wish to provide simple single interface user/administrator
management would benefit greatly if one could programmatically keep the
cups administrator/password for the web interface synchronized with other
user/password facilities.

Adding something like the % feature such as was added to cupsaddsmb in 1.2
for the rpcclient and smbclient commands.

For example, I would propose on an add something like 'lppassword -a
root%<password>'.  For change 'lppassword root%<password>'.

An alternative could be to change cups to utilize the cupsd.conf file to
contain the permissive administrator for the cups web interface and hook
into the linux/pam authentication.

I have only worked with cups 1.1.23-40.15 (32 bit) on SLES 10 SP1 and
researched setup requirements via the web, so apologize if I missed
something where this has already been implemented.  If such is the case, a
pointer to where this is documented would be greatly appreciated.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2752
Version:  -feature