[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2768: unable to build r7386 onOSX-Tiger-10.4.11 Xcode-2.5 (iMac-Core2Duo)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Mar 26 06:47:08 PDT 2008

sci-fi at hush.ai wrote:
> You shouldn't have closed this, it isn't resolved in my eyes, now

I closed "without resolution" and with "Will Not Fix".  In short,
we will not be "fixing" this issue because it can't be fixed.

> The crux of this matter is now this:
> I wish to have the CUPS source code fixes as per the recent
> security updates
> made available for 10.4.x users please.  How do we go about getting
> them
> please (i.e. is it a particular svn branch)?  Thank you.

The only recent security update for 1.3.x that applies to CUPS 1.1.x
on Tiger is the hpgl2tops change, which isn't even used on Mac OS X.

> But if you're killing CUPS-1.4.x on purpose for non-Leopard users,
> well that
> is a tactic I'd only thought M$ would be capable of treating its
> userbase...
> Why are other operating systems able to use your 1.4.x and not
> Tiger users?

We are not "killing" CUPS 1.4.x on Tiger on purpose.  Some of the
Tiger system header files are broken, leading to the problems you are
seeing.  Since we only have resources to test CUPS source compatibility
with the current release of the OS, and since newer versions of CUPS
do not work reliably with older releases of Mac OS X, we are not
supporting installing newer versions of CUPS on older OS releases.
However, we aren't actively preventing you from doing so.

If you can find a simple workaround/conditional compile change to the
1.4.x sources, I'll be happy to add it to 1.4.x.  Just file a bug
report with the change.

Just don't expect us to actively work on source compatibility for a
developer snapshot that can't work 100% with Tiger anyways.