[cups.general] Set allowed users makes printer invisible

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 1 09:38:31 PDT 2008

John A. Murdie wrote:
>> Michael R Sweet wrote:
>>> Here's an odd problem - which I haven't perhaps characterised enough to report as a bug. When one sets an 'Allow these users to print' list (e.g. "john at SITE.AC.UK,lucy at SITE.AC.UK") for a printer in CUPS 1.3.7 operated with 'AuthType Negotiate', with patches for bugs 2748, 2749, 2782 and 2783, the printer is lost from the web list of printers. It is reported as non-existent for printing, though it is recorded in printers.conf with the above users each given an "AllowUser" line.
>> This is expected - if you want the web interface to reflect the
>> printers supported by particular users, you need to authenticate all
>> web access...
>
> The printers are invisible even to those whose user names on the 'Allow these users to print' list, which caused some consternation here. Nevertheless, these users could still print whereas others (correctly) could not. Wouldn't it be better just to show reserved printers to all on the 'Printers' web page? I don't think I understand your reply above.

The hiding of printers from non-allowed users was added based on a
request from several CUPS users.  Granted, they required
authentication for /printers and /classes, so I guess we could change
the current behavior to only pass requesting-user-name when
REMOTE_USER is set - that would preserve the behavior they asked for
while making the default configuration show all printers and classes.

If you'd like to see that, please file a bug report:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

Thanks!