[cups.general] cups 1.3.7 - high cpu usage, used w/ samba

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu May 1 13:59:05 PDT 2008

Greetings,

We're using samba-3.0.28a w/ cups-1.3.7 on debian etch to serve printing
to about 200 printers and 2000 users.

If we set the 'printing = cups' directive in smb.conf then cups cpu
usage jumps to 80-90%.  The system slows down to a crawl and users start
complaining.

If we set it to 'printing = bsd' instead then cups cpu usage drops to
40-50% during peak periods and users don't complain.

Any ideas on how I can set it back to 'printing = cups' and still have
low cups cpu usage?
Do I lose any benefit for leaving it 'printing = bsd'?

I've attached cupsd.conf and smb.conf for your perusal.

regards,
Ryan