Printer installation problems

Thomas Küstermann t.kuestermann at tu-bs.de
Mon May 5 05:27:48 PDT 2008

Hallo!

We've got problems in installing and using several HP printers (network printers) on Windows XP (SP2). The printers are provided by CUPS (1.3.7). The problem appears as follows:
If I install a printer with the according driver shipped with the windows xp installation, everything (including printing) works fine. If I install the printer with the original HP driver (PostScript) from hp.com, the application used to print out a document crashes. The document itself is not printed out.

What I can say at the moment:
- My network sniffer (wireshark) tells me that it needs lots of 'get-printer-attributes' IPP requests before the driver/printer is beeing installed (the 'add printer wizard' seems to hang for a while).
- The printer properties can be opened and displayed successfully after installation
- A testpage is not printed out - 'explorer.exe' crashes
- The described problem is reproducible on all xp clients

What could be reason for that behaviour?

Thank in advance for each hint,
 - Thomas