spooler queue stops by themselve

Jo Hobbit jo.hobbit at gmail.com
Fri May 9 06:32:13 PDT 2008

> Hello,
>
> On May 7 10:11 Jo Hobbit wrote (shortened):
> > if a printer is swiched off, after a period of time
> > the spooler will shut down the queue.
> >
> > error_log:
> >
> >  [Job 424] Unable to locate printer 'fooprn'!
> >  PID 7148 (/q60/cups/lib/cups/backend/ipp) stopped with status 4!
>
> I.e. you use the IPP protocol to talk to a network printer.
> Why?
> See
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html
> and try to use a recommended protocol (if possibly for
> your particular network printer).
>

> >  ErrorPolicy retry-job
>
> See "man backend" why an ErrorPolicy setting doesn't help
> if the backend explicitely requests the cupsd to stop the queue.

Hello!

Yes lpd-printing protocol works fine and will not stop the queue, when the printer is offline.

There is a different behavior of the both protocols. I use a Lexmark(T644) printer

I put two jobs in the queue

IPP
The Printer is online. Trays are removed (No paper).
-The Printer goes to status 'Waiting for job to complete...'
Insert one page in tray
-"Media tray needs to be filled." First job in processing, Second job pending
Switch off printer
-"Media tray needs to be filled." First job in processing, Second job pending
Switch on printer
-"Media tray needs to be filled." First job completed, Second job processing

LPD
The Printer is online. Trays no paper in trays.
-No Status change.  First job completed, Second job completed

With lpd-protocol the printer load the jobs into the memory and the jobs are marked as completed. If the printer is switched off. The jobs are lost.

With ipp-protocol I have a better control of the jobs. The only case I can lose a job is, when the printer is switched off and afterwards switched on. When the printer is offline I have the change to move all jobs on a second printer and no job is lost.
Even if the printer is turned on with a job in processing mode, I will lose it.

My intention is not to lose any job.

Ciao