cupsaddsmb problem with Samba printer share with 'security = share'

Paul McIlfatrick paul.mcilfatrick at bt.com
Mon May 12 03:02:14 PDT 2008

I have been building a replacement CUPS printer server for our office on Ubuntu 8.04 server (used apt-get to download the latest CUPS and Samba packages) and I have got the cupsaddsmb tool to copy the PostScript drivers and make them available for our office PCs. The cupsaddsmb tool is great!

However, there is one issue I have found with the cupsaddsmb tool in that it works fine if I set 'security = user' for the Samba printer share.

But the problem with this security setting is that our users are not then able to access the Samba printer share without logging in. I have to set 'security = share' for the Samba printer share to allow them to access the it but this then breaks the cupsaddsmb tool!

I have searched this forum but was unable to find anything of help and Google did not turn up anything helpful (probably didn't phrase the question correctly).

Also, I have read through chapters 21 and 22 of the extensive documentation written by Kurt Pfeifle but I can't seem to find mention of this issue (probably it is there somewhere).

There is probably a problem with my smb.conf file which I have appended.

Thanks

Paul McIlfatrick

This is the short smb.conf file:

# Date: 2008-05-09