[cups.general] /etc/printcap not regenerated with restart of cupsd on linux

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Tue May 13 19:58:51 PDT 2008

Norm Jacobs said the following on 05/13/2008 12:14 AM:
> I am going to guess that the version of CUPS that you are running was
> built with '--with-printcap=/var/run/cups/printcap'. I don't know why
> you would have an /etc/printcap that is older, unless you had upgraded
> from an older version that was built '--with-printcap=/etc/printcap'.
> Since I took a look at a system that I have running Ubuntu and it has
> both /etc/printcap and /var/run/cups/printcap, with the /var/run version
> being newer, it appears that might be the case for me. I didn't see
> anything else on my system that looked to be generating /etc/printcap.
> If you want /etc/printcap to reflect the current set of queues in CUPS,
> you can symlink /etc/printcap to /var/run/cups/printcap or change your
> cups config (in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf) to include a Printcap
> /etc/printcap entry. Ideally, you would simply remove /etc/printcap,
> identify applications that are parsing /etc/printcap, and work to fix
> them to use the CUPS API for print queue enumeration.
>
> -Norm

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.  Just upgraded from 7.10.  You're spot-on.  I
noticed this trouble with QCAD and have posted your response on their
forum.  QCAD is apparently parsing /etc/printcap.  The solution
presented on the QCAD forum was 'ln -sf /var/run/cups/printcap
/etc/printcap', so someone their recognizes the problem.  I have done
this and it does fix the problem.
Thanks for your help,
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
 The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents, and the second half by our children - Clarence Darrow (297)